The first hospital opened in Roanoke Rapids in 1912. It was located on the corner of Roanoke Ave. and 7th Street and for many years this building served this area with the best possible medical treatment in the area.
In 1972 when the needs of the area had grown to the point that the building could no longer hold all the services needed, a 151-bed public hospital was constructed and opened. The new building was much larger and was able to provide many new services that the previous facility could not offer.
Since 1972, Halifax Regional has undergone four major expansion projects. In 1975, a floor was added that brought the hospital’s licensed bed capacity to 190 beds. In 1979, the emergency department was expanded. In 1987, an ambulatory surgery unit with additional surgical space was completed and a replacement laboratory and a radiology department were constructed. In 1992, a tower was added that greatly increased the licensed bed capacity.
On March 6, 1998, the Secretary of State approved the Articles of Restatement, which changed the name of the corporation from Halifax Memorial Hospital Inc. to Halifax Regional Medical Center Inc.
Two decades later, on June 1st 2019, Halifax Regional Medical Center merged with Vidant Health to form Vidant North Hospital. Although a lot has changed, our mission to improve the health of Eastern North Carolina has remained the same. We’re proud to have a history full of change, growth and expansion. We’re looking forward to the future and continuing to meet the healthcare needs the communities we serve.
Click below to learn more about our healthcare system and review our most recent annual report.