H E A L T H Y E A T I N G
Roasted Red Pepper Bolognese Sauce Over Spaghetti
8 oz dry spaghetti noodles (whole wheat preferred)
3 cloves fresh garlic
1 medium-sized red pepper
1 small green pepper
1/2 cup fresh cauliflower or broccoli
12 oz ground turkey
8 oz low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh carrots (shredded)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp thyme leaves (fresh or dried)
1/2 tbsp chopped oregano (fresh or dried)
1 tsp ground pepper
5 tsp canola oil
1 tbsp olive oil
- Slice red pepper, removing seeds, stem and connective tissue. Place red pepper, cauliflower (or broccoli) and garlic in a mixing bowl; then drizzle 1 tsp of canola oil over it and toss. Place on small baking pan and roast in preheated 400 degree F oven for 15–20 minutes or until tender. Let cool for 10–15 minutes, then chop pepper into smaller pieces.
- Heat 1 tsp of canola oil in saute pan. Add roasted peppers, cauliflower (or broccoli) and garlic to pan and saute for 1–2 minutes; then add broth and vinegar. Lower heat and cook until mixture begins to simmer. Empty saute pan into food processor or blender; then add the oregano, thyme, pepper, salt and olive oil. Process until smooth. Set to the side.
- Fill a 2-quart large sauce pan with water. Set on high heat and let it come to a rolling boil. Once water is boiling, cook pasta according to directions on box or for 5–7 minutes until noodles are tender. (Whole-wheat pasta will take approximately 2 minutes longer to cook than traditional pasta.)
- Dice green pepper and onion into small pieces (between 1/4 and 1/2 inch). Heat 3 tsp of canola oil in saute pan. Add diced green pepper, onion and shredded carrots. Saute until vegetables are tender (usually 3–5 minutes depending on heat). Add ground turkey; cook thoroughly until it is cooked through and no longer pink, chopping it into smaller pieces as you cook it. Once the ground turkey is cooked, add red pepper sauce from food processor or blender to saute pan with the turkey. Bring entire mixture to a simmer and keep hot.
- When the spaghetti has finished cooking, drain and rinse quickly; then place 1 cup of spaghetti on each serving dish. Serve with ½ cup of the red pepper turkey Bolognese sauce. Garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.